January 23, 2012

Thirumalai Nayakar Mahal - 2 : Remnants of History!

Hi Guys,

I got a little busy and was a little slow on blogging. But the new IndiRank (77 for both my blogs) has increased my energy levels and it has renewed my interests.

For my previous post, I got a few comments that they were not aware of the palace existing in Madurai. Actually it is not very surprising as our tourist department takes no steps in preserving the place. For interested people, the palace is in the center of the city and just a kilometer away from the Meenakshi Amman Temple.

In this post, let me post a few photos that are remnants from the past. The palace has a small museum in the side room, that is actually the Dancing Hall or the Nataka Shala, where dance and entertainment took place. A lot of paintings, records, instruments, tools from the past are kept. Apart from that, there is also a statue collection outside the palace.
Stone inscriptions in the museum


A 17th century Chola Dynasty stone inscription
Statue of a God
Lot of statues have broken or detached head. Whoever conquered the temple or palace, didn't wish the statues to remain and so, they just broke of the head. So, lot of Gods and Goddess remain without head.

The King's chair
A God with six faces
Ancient window made from stone
This is it for now. Will post a few more photos in my nest post.

Happy Viewing!!!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Karthick,
    This looks like a beautiful place. The architecture and works seem grand.
    I am just slowly getting back to blogging and commenting.
    Hope you have a wonderful Sunday:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...beatiful shots of the palace of Madhurai. They don't just look like remnanat from our history, they are just amazing historic art just like a treasure passed to our generation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures. The palace is one of the most beautiful palaces in India. The palace was erected in 17th century and is a classic fusion of Dravidian and Rajput styles. Thirumalai Nayakar mahal was four times bigger than the present structure. Performance of Light & Sound is held every evening.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and spending time with my blog! Hope you had a nice time in my blog!

Please let your comments here. Your comments add fuel to my writings.